The Alliance International Bridge will open November 2010, providing the fastest route into the Rio Grande Valley from the interior of Mexico. Located approximately 10 miles West of the Progresso International Bridge and 10 miles East of the Pharr International Bridge, Alliance will allow easy access to all of the major attractions in the Rio Grande Valley, including South Padre Island, the Rio Grande Valley Premium Outlets in Mercedes, La Plaza Mall in McAllen, and the airports located in McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville.
The Alliance International Bridge is located at the intersection of F.M. 493 and U.S. 281 (Military Highway). Travelers from Mexico will be able to avoid all the urbanization and congestion areas of Reynosa and Matamoros, Mexico, thus reducing travel into the U.S. by approximately one hour. The McAllen Foreign Trade Zone (20 minutes to the West)and the Edinburg Foreign Trade Zone (35 minutes to the North) are home to dozens of multinational corporations.
The Alliance International Bridge will connect to the proposed $300 million International Bridge Trade Corridor, which will allow traffic to access Highways 83 and 281, heading North of the Valley via a loop planned by the Regional Mobility Authority.
Important FAQs about the Alliance International Bridge:
- A Presidential Permit has been issued to allow unrestricted commercial traffic-truck crossings can start as soon as the U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspection facilities are built (expected to be completed in 2011).
- Hours of operation are: 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight) each day. (check with Donna)
- Federal Inspection Facilities are located on approximately 72 acres, at least twice the size of other ports in the area, thus allowing for easy expansion in the future.
- The bridge is only 1,000 feet in length, yet it has 8 lanes-4 lanes in each direction (North and South), with a concrete barrier in between to facilitate the safe flow of passenger and commercial traffic.
- The latest technology to ensure fast and safe crossings has been utilized. The City of Donna will sell toll tags online, at the Toll Administration Office, and at various kiosks located outside the Port of Entry.
News and Articles
- President Calderon officially opens Donna-Rio Bravo bridgePresident Calderon officially opens Donna-Rio Bravo bridge
Under heavy security, Mexican President, Filipe Calderon Hinojosa presided over the opening ceremonies of the Donna-Rio Bravo…
- Bridge Is Now Open!Bridge Is Now Open!
Opening ceremonies were held Tuesday, December 14, 2010, for the new Donna-Rio Bravo international bridge…